Moulds are a type of fungus that requires moisture and food source to grow and reproduce by releasing vast numbers of tiny spores into the air which can be inhaled.
Due to New Zealand’s climatic conditions and construction failures, NZ has become increasingly fertile ground for mould growth in at-risk properties. Some types of mould produce toxic compounds. Stachybotrys chartarum (black mould) is a toxic mould that is associated with leaking buildings. The mould is caused by leaks that originate outside the building and from leaks with wet areas within the building such as bathrooms.
If untreated, mould can cause a range of health issues such as respiratory tract infections, allergic reactions, fatigue and headaches.
Mould growth can often be seen as surface discolouration on ceilings, walls and furniture and there may be a musty smell.
Why you should not remove mould yourself
Not knowing the source and extent of contamination can lead to further damage. A site inspection that will include moisture testing is critical. Our Technicians are trained in the latest identification procedures of type and location of mould and the moisture source.
Not removing all mould correctly will lead to mould recurring. Surface cleaning may appear visually to have fixed the problem but the mould spores will still be present.
Removing the mould
ECS will provide a comprehensive scope of works and obligation free quote to decontaminate the area/s identified in the site inspection.
The affected area will be sealed using specialised equipment to contain any further contamination during the remediation process. ECS uses proprietary chemical that have been proven internationally to treat multiple mould types by destroying the root structure of the mould. Correct drying methods are an integral part of the process.
ECS Technicians are IICRC certified and all processes will follow the IICRC S520-2015 International Standard for Professional Mould Remediation.
Contact our team to request a confidential, obligation free quote.